Landlords: When is the last time that your read your lease from start to finish? Do you really agree with and enforce everything that is on your rental lease? Did you download your lease from the internet when you bought your first investment property and have never looked back? Here are some extra add-in clauses that will give you extra leverage or reduce your headaches with your tenants. Feel free to cut and paste them directly into your leases:
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney in your state, nor do I play one on TV. Your should seek competent, local legal advice regarding these suggested lease clauses.
- All drains, waste pipes, and plumbing are accepted as clear by the tenant at the time of occupancy and any material blocking them after occupancy shall be repaired by the tenant except blockages caused by roots or backups from the street.
- Glass breakage is the responsibility of the tenant unless caused by landlord or nature.
- Leak in pipes, unless caused by negligence of tenant are to be repaired by the landlord within a reasonable time after notice, but the landlord shall not be liable for any damages resulting from such leaks and/or overflows.
- No signs (including political signs) shall be placed on the premises by the tenant or at the tenant’s direction without the prior written consent of the landlord.
- Light bulbs are the tenant’s expense and responsibility.
- The unit is accepted as insect, rodent, and pest free by the tenant at the time of the occupancy. Tenant is responsible for insect, rodent, and pest control. If tenant choses not to correct problem, landlord may pay for pest control and bill tenant applicable costs.
- Use of property for business is prohibited: The premises shall be used and occupied by the resident(s) exclusively as a private residence. Neither the premises nor any part thereof shall be used at any time during the term of this lease by the tenant for the purpose or carrying on any business, profession, or trade of any kind.
- No auto repairs lasting more than 1 hour may be performed on the premises nor on any city street adjacent to the property.
- Resident(s) agrees not to park or store a motor home, recreational vehicle, or trailer of any type on the premises without prior written consent of the landlord.
- Resident(s) agrees to use said dwelling as living quarters only for ____ adults and ____ children and to pay $____ for each week for any other person who shall occupy the premises as his/her living quarters.
Again, check with your local attorney about the legality of these clauses in your area. Plus some may not apply or be contrary to local rental standards/customs. While not a complete list, many of these clauses will give your investment property leases extra teeth to insure compliance from your tenants and keep your rental units is the best shape possible. Take the time to power up your leases! You will be happy you did.